At a glance
- The translation training is alongside your normal job.
- You select the language combination of your choice, with your first language as the target language.
- The course is divided into 80 one-on-one lessons per language combination and 14 days of seminars in groups. You can expect 10 hours of self-study per week. The course lasts at least one and a half years to three years at most.
- Qualification as graduate translator HDS
The largely individualised structure of our course has the following benefits for you:
- You get a tailored programme
- You arrange most of the course dates according to your schedule, thereby saving time
- You benefit from the individual learning support during the one-on-one lessons, because our lecturers are professionals and are available to give you help and advice
- You decide on the learning pace
- Our training is easily combined with work and family
- You work on a variety of texts and in time you determine your specialization (e.g. commerce, tourism, law, technology…)
Our course is for active and future translators. You are highly skilled in written expression in your first language and have a very good reading comprehension (level C2) in the source language. You have completed at least a three-year education at secondary level 2 (university entrance qualification) and/or an education at the tertiary level (higher technical college, further education (FE) college, university) and you pass our entrance test.
You will acquire an additional qualification as a translator, thereby expanding your range of professional applications. You work on the quality of your translations, deepen your reading comprehension and hone your written expression. You acquire a profound insight into two languages and into linguistics. Our qualification has an excellent reputation in Switzerland.
You develop your skill in producing high quality translations while you acquire our diploma as a professional qualification.
Translate into your selected combination of languages – at the moment we handle language combinations with
If you’re interested in another language combination, call us and we’ll try to make this possible.
The seminars address the following topics:
- Introduction to linguistics (2 days)
- Translating strategies (3 days)
- Researching (2 days)
- Introduction to terminology work (3 days)
- Computer-assisted translating (2 days)
- Professional studies (2 days)
The subject translation (source language -> first language) is taught in one-on-one lessons. This gives you the freedom to arrange the time and place with your lecturer. Classes are also possible over the internet (Skype), on arrangement. All other subjects are day-long seminars in St. Gallen.
Depending on how you pay, the training in one language combination costs either Fr. 13,000 (in two instalments) or Fr. 13,620 (in six instalments). Ask the office for a quote if you want to study more than one language combination at a time. It is possible to sit in on (audit) individual seminar days and this costs 400 Francs.
Degree as a translator HDS. After completion of the course at the HDS, there is the option of enrolling in the Master’s course “Transcultural Communication and Translation” at the Institut für Kommunikation & Führung IKF (Institute for Communication & Management) in Lucerne. The HDS degree is credited as 2 CAS (Certificate of Advanced Studies).
Good to know
Translators translate texts and interpreters translate spoken words into the other language. Professional translators generally translate from a source language into their first language. The HDS also organises seminars for professional translators.
Arrange a consultation today – we look forward to meeting you.
The Handels- und Dolmetscherschule St. Gallen is certified by eduQua.